The girls started the game extremely well, showing excellent passing skills to dominate both possession and territory. This lead to a number of D entries that brought no end product to begin with. To be fair, the Romsey defence inside the D was quite resolute. Eventually the deadlock was broken with a well worked move, which ended with Imogen Hurst scoring and we were off. Before the game I had challenged the girls to be outrageously good and the next goal was a example of outrageousness! Sophie Hamilton hit a reverse hit rocket from an acute angle, which to be honest, the keeper did not see! We continued to dominate the first half – Sophie Hamilton completed another hat-trick and Imogen Hurst added to her tally. There was the odd Romsey skirmish into our half and even maybe once into our D. The defensive unit dealt with everything with calm assurance, for us to finish the half 5-0 up.

After a very informative team talk, we continued the good play in the second half. We created enough chances to score ten goals but at times it felt that we were trying to batter down the door the hard way. That said, credit must go to Romsey, as they showed dogged determination and tenacity to thwart our ambitions to score more goals. Eventually the door caved in, when the umpire awarded us a penalty stroke for a rash challenge in a goal scoring position. Captain Olivia Hamilton stepped up and executed a stylish flick to take our tally of goals to 6. The rest of the match was dominated by us, with the team pressing well and regaining possession high up the pitch. Romsey did threaten our D a couple of times but as in the first half, the defensive unit dealt with everything Romsey threw at us.

This was great performance on a dry bouncy pitch, in deepest darkest Hampshire on a Friday night. The girls did a really good job of being in the right frame of mind to produce a great performance. 

I must say a huge thank you to the parents for getting their off-spring to the match on a Friday night. I think those that were there would agree that it was worth it. Thank you from me to Keith Walters for helping me out on the bench, it was greatly appreciated.

Finally we are now in the semi-final which is scheduled for Sunday 7th April. I hope that we can all work that date into our diaries so we can put our best team out in the hope that we can win, which would lead to another trip to Lee Valley!

Categories: Uncategorized