This encounter was going to be tough and hard fought – the match proved to be a cracker in all respects.

If you reach this stage of the competition you have a good side. Old Loughtonians proved to be a very competent unit with some very good individuals and at times they pushed Team Bath but in the end the hockey that the Team Bath Buccs girls played was too good for the opposition.

The match started with some very good passing from the girls and some excellent play down the right between Katie Jones and Millie Walters leading to a number of D entries which we could not quite convert. On the left defensive wing Molly Hunter and Ursula Olson-Groome continued to tackle well and mop up any threat from counter attacks. They combined this with excellent distribution stretching the opposition and creating space for our mid-field. The first goal came from a well worked D entry, the ball went across the keeper for Imogen Hurst to open the scoring. The Team Bath Buccs girls relaxed a little having got the first goal and in the next fifteen minutes we were all over them with lots of high transfers and plenty of scoring opportunities that we did not quite convert. Georgina White, Alice Bedford and Rafi Borries Gruber came off the bench and made excellent contributions to the team tackling and passing well. We continued to keep Old Loughtonians under pressure at the back with some sterling work from our forwards. Cully McDermid did a great job of closing down space, making life difficult for the opposition. With the score still at 1-0 Team bath got a well worked goal just on the stroke of half time. A great assist from Olivia Hamilton lead to a cool deflection past the keeper by Emily Wastell.

It had been a great first half performance our passing had been sublime at times and the opposition did not have a lot of the ball.

With the job half done the opposition came out and threw everything at Team Bath Buccs in the first ten minutes of the second half. Some excellent defence from the backs and keeping from Katie Mallet keep them from scoring. The first goal scored in the second half was going to be crucial and it came to the Team Bath Buccaneers with a well-executed Penalty corner from Olivia Hamilton. With the score at 3-0 the opposition came back into the match with some good D entries only to be thwarted by some outstanding defensive work. After surviving this the girls went on to produce some excellent passing and moving. Lizzie White combining well with her forwards to create another D entry, which resulted in a penalty flick being awarded, this was converted coolly by Olivia Hamilton. At 4 – 0 the game was effectively won but there was no relenting in the Team Bath Buccs play and two more goals were scored one by Imogen Hurst and the final nail in the coffin was converted by Sophie Hamilton. It rounded off an excellent 6-0 win.

We play Repton HC in the final at Lee Valley Park on the 12th May. 

Categories: Uncategorized